Sunday, January 11, 2015

Whole30: Day 9

Well let's be honest, today was a cheat day. We belong to a wine club that for the month of January lets us taste for free at 5 other wineries. I decided that Saturday would be my one day that I would allow myself wine. It was very tasty and worth it. 

We've been eating a lot of Sweet Potato Hash lately so for weekend breakfast I decided that a helping of Biscuits & Gravy from the Paleo Kitchen sounded necessary. If you haven't tried these yet, your really missing out. The biscuits are made from baked sweet potatoes and seasoned with thyme and rosemary. Then to top them off there's a sausage gravy made from coconut milk. All around its a hearty, comforting meal that is so satisfying. 

Paleo Biscuits & Gravy
Dinner time was after wine tasting and by the time I realized the time, it was awful late to defrost most meats. I always keep a couple backup meals that I can make from my pantry or freezer so last night was one of them. I pulled some polish sausage from the freezer and threw that in water in the sink to defrost. While that was defrosting I chopped up some sweet potatoes to start the potato salad. If you haven't caught on that you should go out and buy The Paleo Kitchen cookbook yet, then here's the moment. The Lime Bacon Dill Sweet Potato Salad is the perfect side for and BBQ meal and super easy to make. What makes it interesting is that it has balsamic for a tang, dill for an earthy taste, and sweet potatoes to mellow it all out. Now I know what your thinking, is polish sausage Whole30? How did you ever find polish sausage without sugar? I didn't. After working so hard the first time I did Whole30 to find items that had absolutely no sugar, I decided it would be better for my sanity to not stress about that as much. I'm much more willing to stick with Whole30 if I adapt it to fit our needs. I'm not saying that I don't look at the labels on everything, because I do. I just eat bacon that was cured with sugar and polish sausage that has some in the ingredients. 
Polish Sausage & Lime Bacon Dill Sweet Potato Salad


No comments:

Post a Comment