Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Whole 30: Potato Soup & Cauliflower Base

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday as I had by time busy with watching my girlfriends 5 month old. I hadn't realized 2 children that don't walk wouldn't be an easy task and my little one decided he would be jealous of mom for the first time. Therefore, my meals were quick between naps and activities.

Breakfast was one of my favorites, scrambled eggs. I added green onion to them and then topped them with Thrive Special Sauce and avocado. I noticed after I covered my eggs that it does have agave so isn't technically Whole30 but it was delicious. If you haven't tried avocado on your eggs, your missing out! I've found that it's the perfect addition to replace cheese because it has that creamy texture to it. I also had 4 slices of bacon and 2 satsuma oranges along with a cup of decaf coffee. Yum!

Lunch wasn't too exciting as I had about 10 minutes while one kiddo was sleeping and the other was eating lunch. I sliced up a tomato and some more avocado then topped it with the remaining Pesto Chicken Salad from the other day. Although it was quick, it was once again extremely satisfying. 

Dinner prep was difficult as Ethan was wanting to be held while I was in the kitchen. It's not possible to cut up food and hold a baby. So I distracted him and quickly started my version of my momma's Potato Soup. I'm pretty proud of my changes on this recipe to make it dairy free and yet still creamy. 

Potato Soup 
Serves 6

2 cups leftover ham or 8 slices bacon, diced
3 TBLS bacon fat or fat of choice, divided
4 carrots, peeled then cut in half and sliced
1 onion, diced
2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced in 1/2 inch pieces
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup cauliflower base (recipe below)
1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
1 TBLS ghee
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
1. If using ham, turn skillet on medium-high heat and melt 2 tablespoons bacon fat. Add ham and cook 15 minutes or until seared, stirring occasionally. If using bacon, cook bacon until crispy. Remove from heat. 
2. In dutch oven over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Add in carrots and onions and saute until cooked, about 7 minutes. 
3. Add potatoes and chicken broth. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Cook until potatoes are no longer crunchy but aren't falling apart. This usually takes about 10 minutes. Turn heat down to low.
4. Add ham or bacon, ghee, cauliflower base, coconut milk, salt & pepper into dutch oven. Stir and allow to cook together for 5 minutes longer. 
5. Remove from heat and serve.

This soup freezes really well too. I will portion it out after dinner for one lunch and then freeze the remaining portions for a later day. Just remember to not fill it too full as it will expand when it freezes. 

Cauliflower Base
Yields 4-5 cups

1 head cauliflower, about 4 lbs in size
1 onion, diced
1 TBLS ghee
2 tsp garlic, diced
1 cup chicken broth

1. Cut cauliflower into equal sized pieces. The smaller the pieces the shorter the cooking time. 
2. In medium stock pot, melt ghee over medium heat. Add in onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
3. Add in cauliflower and broth. Place lid on pot and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You might need to add a bit more stock to ensure the pan doesn't go dry and burn.
4. When the cauliflower is fork tender, turn off heat. 
5. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth. Again, you might need to add more to ensure it's not a paste. The consistency should come to be a thick soup.

Add to soups at this point to thicken. I usually add 1/2 cup cauliflower base and 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk to my soups to replace heavy whipping cream. This freezes beautifully too. I usually freeze it in 1 cup amounts in food saver bags.


No comments:

Post a Comment