Friday, January 2, 2015

Whole30: Day 1

We were supposed to start Whole30 yesterday but I accidentally went to Starbucks and got a latte. I was so excited to have time to go shopping by myself I completely forgot it was filled with sugar. Oops, my bad. So, January 2 officially starts off our second Whole30. 

What is Whole30?
Whole30.com is a great resource to read more about the Whole30 concept. What the Whole30 comes down to is eating clean fresh food for 30 days. It removes grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, alcohol, and baked treats from your diet to achieve this healthier eating.

Why Whole30?
The reason that I want to do the Whole30 is to eliminate my dependance on sugar and alcohol, especially after the holidays. We already eat grain and dairy free but I've gotten into making pancakes, cookies, and other treats way too often. I've found that when I remove sugar from my diet, I am more focused and overall feel more positive. 

How to start Whole30
Last October we did our first Whole30. I planned every meal and snack out for 30 days to eliminate the question of what to eat. This was a TON of work. I probably spent 10 hours before the Whole30 started digging for recipes and filling in my spreadsheet. I started this plan again and realized it wasn't necessary. My intent is to do my dinner meal planning for a week and then make sure I have Whole30 compliant snacks. For me these include cashews, almonds, homemade larabars, hard boiled eggs, veggies, apples, and salami.

What's a day look like with Whole30?
Here is what I plan on eating today for my first day of Whole30. Most days will be pretty similar but with a different dinner option. 

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with bacon & avocado topped with hot sauce, fried plantains
Lunch: Pesto chicken salad, 2 satsuma oranges
Snack: Fruit smoothie (pineapple, apple, spinach, coconut water, blueberries)
Dinner: Baked Lemon Dill Trout 
Snack: Apple slices with almond butter


Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with fried plantains
How does this work for the whole family?
My 1 year-old, Ethan eats the same as us. He's a great eater and would prefer meat over any other foods everyday. We've always fed him foods we would eat so he's gluten free as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment