Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Whole30 Day 27: Dill Egg Salad over Tomatoes

Lunch can be one of the most challenging meals of the day. I find that it's the meal I often forget to plan so it's left up to chance most the time. Leftovers are the easiest lunch solution. The problem arrises when my husband takes them all or they just don't sound good for lunch. My go to lately is a protein filled salad. I will make different versions of chicken salads or egg salads a couple times a week that usually last 2 days. This helps give a variety and use up extra veggies we have around. Another good option is to make a soup that can be eaten or frozen for later. Our freezer in the garage has pre-portioned soup in freezer containers that can easily be reheated. 

I've recently discovered dill and how wonderful this fresh herb tastes. I've been adding it to everything, including my eggs. When I went to make my egg salad the other day the dill was a perfect companion to it for an extra mustard taste. Fresh dill lasts in the fridge for several weeks if it has a paper towel wrapped around it.


Dill Egg Salad over Tomatoes
Serves: 2

1 tomato, sliced in 1/2 inch slices
4 eggs, hard-boiled and diced (I used my egg dicer)
1/2 cup cooked ham, diced
2 TBLS mayo (I made an avocado based mayo which was in the fridge)
1-2 tsp yellow deli mustard
1 tsp white vinegar
1 1/5 TBLS fresh dill, chopped
1/2 tsp celery salt
salt & pepper, to taste

1. Slice the tomato and arrange on a plate.
2. Mix all ingredients together. If they don't bind well enough, add a bit more mayo.
3. Put the mixture on top of the tomatoes and top with some more dill and black pepper.

This will last in the fridge for one day. After that it gets too watery and looses the flavors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment