Sunday, January 4, 2015

Whole30: Green Smoothie

I rocked Day 3 of Whole30. Every piece of food I put in my mouth today was delicious. I also wasn't hungry and snacking throughout the day which was quite an accomplishment. Breakfast time I decided to try making a fritatta again. It's been several months since my husband stopped eating eggs and now that he's putting them back in his diet, I have been craving egg dishes. So I put together the fixings and whipped up a quite fluffy fritatta, side of bacon, and he fried some plantains. I know, we are a bit addicted to plantains.

Breakfast: Zucchini, Kalua Pork, Green Onion & Spinach Fritatta
Last night, when the baby should have been in bed, we drug him to the Asian market to get the fixing for making Pho. I have a friend that lives in Arizona that makes Pho every time we visit and swears it's easy to do. I thought I'd give it a try too. She sent me her recipe which had a lot of steps. I also had Nom Nom Paleo's recipe from her cookbook so I made my own hybrid concoction. It worked pretty good but wasn't as exceptional as my friends usually is. There's definitely room for tweaking and fortunately I have enough ingredients to try it again. I'll post a recipe when I come up with that awesome Pho. The one things I did do which made it Whole30 compliant and we really enjoyed, was replace the traditional rice noodles with zoodles (zucchini noodles). They didn't get soggy and still had texture and a slight crunch. Oh, did I mention I'm making it in my Instant Pot pressure cooker? It only took an hour to cook the broth instead of the 10 hours the other recipes suggested. I'm loving this Instant Pot more and more each day.


Lunch: Pho with Zoodles
We also got a new blender for christmas. Our old one just couldn't handle the volume of smoothies we were making so we researched and decided on the Blendtec blender. So far, I'm very satisfied with it. It does the job and gets all the chunks out of the mix but you do loose a bit of your hearing each time it runs. It's crazy how loud it is. I wasn't sure of the flavor when I was done but my husband and son loved it. I guess it's just that I don't prefer coconut water. 
Dinner: Ham, Sweet Potato, Peas & Carrots
For dinner I went the easy route and threw in the oven a smoked ham steak from our freezer. My dad raised pigs this last year and we bought one from him once it was butchered. This was hands down the best decision we've ever made. We've been buying portions of a cow for several years now but this was our first pig. The difference in quality and flavor of the meat is very noticeable. It's also fun being able to use different cuts that I haven't used before. The smoked ham steaks are convenient because they are 2-3 inches thick, so can be defrosted quicker than a ham shank. I was able to defrost, cook, and eat the ham steak all in about 4 hours. With the ham, I threw a few sweet potatoes in the oven to bake and then heated up some frozen veggies. Dinner was simple but satisfying and a breeze to do. 

Green Smoothie
Yields: 6 cups 

2 cups pineapple, chunked fresh or frozen
2 cups spinach
1/2 green apple
2 cups coconut water
1/4 avocado, optional

Blend all together until smooth. Then add in 1 cup of ice and blend again. 
This doesn't store in the fridge well as it will separate. Just cut the recipe in half to yield less, if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment