Thursday, March 26, 2015

Curried Zucchini Noodles

Curry is one of my favorite dishes since it can be done in so many different flavors but always has the perfect combination of spices. When I was pregnant with my son, curry was what I had to eat. I remember dragging my husband to the Thai restaurant down the street to sit outside in 90' weather and eat a piping hot bowl of massaman curry. Since discovering Thai food 10 years ago, we've eaten it a lot. It's one of the few cuisines that seems to be mostly gluten free so I've been able to try all sorts of dishes. I always come back to the curry though. 

Since my love for Thai curry can also get a bit expensive, I've started making it myself at home. Now I know there are many different ways to make curry and as a Thai cooking novice, I go for the simple one. I purchase curry paste in tubs at the Asian store, store it in my fridge, and just combine it with coconut milk. What's great is that you can purchase all different flavors such as red, yellow, massaman, panang, or green. I've only purchased the Mae Ploy brand since that's what is available to me. My husband prefers panang so we usually make our curry from that, red or massaman. 


Curried Zucchini Noodles with Sausage
Serves: 3 

2 medium zucchini, spiralized (I use the Paderno Spiral Vegetable Slicer)
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 TBLS curry paste
1 can (or 2 cups) full-fat coconut milk
1/2 lb ground italian sausage
2 TBLS coconut oil

1. Heat wok over medium heat. Add coconut oil and italian sausage. Cook sausage stirring continually until cooked through. Remove from wok.
2. Add in curry paste. Using a spatula stir the paste until it starts to bubble slightly. Add in the coconut milk. 
3. Reduce the curry paste and coconut milk for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces by 1/3. Make sure to stir or it will burn on the inside of the wok.
4. Once the sauce is reduced, add in the bell peppers and onions. Cook for 3-5 minutes, so they are cooked but still have a crunch. Add back in the sausage.
5. Add the zucchini noodles and toss to coat. Turn off the heat and do not cook the noodles. 
6. Serve immediately.

Note: If you cook the noodles in the sauce you loose the crunchy consistency. The sauce alone will cook them a bit but the dish is not nearly as good with cooked noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment